The Rhetoric Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2016 USA Election

+6
Pound Cake
Audrey
Woody
SirWhit
Countess
T.S. (myself)
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2016 USA Election  - Page 2 Empty 2016 USA Election

Post by Countess Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Anyone following the Democrat and Republican parties and their candadates? 

So the first state is down with Cruz and Clinton winning Iowa. Although Clinton and Sanders basically were tied at 50 percent each.  Shocked

So, any thoughts as this next election unfolds? Discuss.
Countess
Countess
Administrator

Female

Back to top Go down

2016 USA Election  - Page 2 Empty Re: 2016 USA Election

Post by Farmer Thu May 26, 2016 9:17 am

Ok. I looked it up and it seems that the news all reported that but when the polls came out it show that Hispanics did not like him so well.

Like I said I don't follow politics very much but do read a little. I'd read some but not the follow-ups. My bad there. Bad example but my main point is still true.
Farmer
Farmer
Apprentice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sola Scriptura Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:18 pm

So, are you saying the American government isn't Biblical?
Sola Scriptura
Sola Scriptura
Apprentice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:19 pm

Sola Scriptura wrote:So, are you saying the American government isn't Biblical?
Well, actually, Theocracy is the only Bible-approved form of government, so I suppose that argument could be made, but that's not the point I was trying to make. What I'm saying is that the government in America today is hardly relatable to the governments that were in effect during Biblical times. The American system is designed so that the people have power over the government, not vice versa, as it was during those times. Thus, the people are the true authority in American government, and have the power to remove the leaders they have chosen if they wish.

Of course, the argument can be made that God chooses our leaders, and yes, that is true. I do believe that God is fully capable of controlling who holds the Oval Office and other elected positions, despite the fact that these positions are determined by the votes of the people*. As the Bible says, shortly before the verses you quoted, "the authorities that exist are appointed by God." (Romans 13:1 NKJV) This message is repeated several more times throughout the Bible. But another passage that states this, Daniel 2:21, says something else I find interesting. "[God] removes kings and raises up kings" (Daniel 2:21 NKJV) This passage adds that God removes kings as well as raises them up. Now, you could make the argument, based on several kings in the Bible, that God does this by, well, killing 'em. But you'll also find examples of the people removing the king, with implications that God is the driving force behind that removal. Now, my question to you is, if, in the American system, God can somehow choose a leader, even though the votes of the citizens determine this, can He not also remove a leader by the same means? (In other words, if God can raise up a leader by the will of the people, why can't He remove a leader in the same way?)

*That is not to say He always does, simply that He is capable of doing so. Many times in Scripture, God allows the people of a nation to have it their way. Heck, that's how Israel became a Monarchy in the first place. But that's a whole 'nother debate.
Woody
Woody
Apprentice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound Cake Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:49 pm

You know, yes, things are a mess, but I'm not just happy we have our first female nomineee for presidnet. I'm thrilled, astonished, I'm overwhelmed. We're seeing history and yet most people aren't really throwing a party because waaa she has a low approval rating and emails and she met with 85 of the contributors to the Clinton Foundation- 85!? Good grief, that's lot, holy crap! But ah, my point is, we've been waiting centuries for this. I think our grandchildren will see clips from this election's news in documentaries and ask, "What was their deal? Why weren't they excited?"
Pound Cake
Pound Cake
Apprentice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:36 pm

So that happened.
Woody
Woody
Apprentice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SirWhit Sun May 07, 2017 7:49 am

Pound Cake wrote:You know, yes, things are a mess, but I'm not just happy we have our first female nomineee for presidnet. I'm thrilled, astonished, I'm overwhelmed. We're seeing history and yet most people aren't really throwing a party because waaa she has a low approval rating and emails and she met with 85 of the contributors to the Clinton Foundation- 85!? Good grief, that's lot, holy crap! But ah, my point is, we've been waiting centuries for this. I think our grandchildren will see clips from this election's news in documentaries and ask, "What was their deal? Why weren't they excited?"
Tongue out

SirWhit
Apprentice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum