The Rhetoric Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Piracy

5 posters

Go down

Media Piracy  Empty Media Piracy

Post by War Doctor Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:45 am

Do you think it's okay to download TV episodes and movies from the internet?
War Doctor
War Doctor
Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Media Piracy  Empty Re: Media Piracy

Post by Countess Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:12 am

What's the internet's purpose? If it's to share information and they put up information for free, I don't think they can expect people not to take that.
Countess
Countess
Administrator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by War Doctor Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:33 am

The issue is the creators of the content are not the ones putting the content for free online, other people are copying their work and putting it online.
War Doctor
War Doctor
Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kait Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:10 pm

I always feel bad pirating things. I pay for Amazon, Netflix and Hulu so I really have no need to pirate things. I very very rarely do it.

I feel like it is stealing and while I COULD justify why it doesn't really matter (giant corporations really aren't missing out on anything because I downloaded Game of Thrones from BitTorrent etc), at the end of the day I wouldn't walk into a store and steal the products so I don't feel right doing the same digitally. Also it's illegal and you could get in big trouble. So.
kait
kait
Apprentice

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by War Doctor Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:32 pm

Also something to consider, if piracy does affect the bottom line the corporations are not going to cut the CEO's salary. They are going to cut the salary, or just the job, of some production assistant trying to make it in the industry while living paycheck to paycheck.
War Doctor
War Doctor
Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blitz Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:19 am

CEO's barely make any large amount of money compared to how much the company does over all. Off topic though. 

The only time I permit myself to download something through pirating is when I owned the thing earlier and lost it, specifically when my computer crashed. That is reasonable.
Blitz
Blitz
Apprentice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound Cake Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:13 pm

I don't pirate technically... But I do watch pirated versions sometimes. For instance, if I don't make it to a stream until a couple days late (at which point, I think, it's technically pirated even though they take it down after so many days) I'll watch it anyway.

I don't pirate music though, never have. Radio is free... and so is Pandora, and so is Spotify. There is zero excuse to pirate music.

I also don't look at pirated versions of comic as the industry is plummeting... probably in part because of pirated comics.
Pound Cake
Pound Cake
Apprentice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blitz Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:44 pm

Well, Spotify is free and so is Pandora.... in US. *Goes kills the makers* 

I do not have problem with downloading pirated version of tv series since they are free, technically. Especially if you actually own the cable tv that shows them.
Blitz
Blitz
Apprentice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by War Doctor Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:04 pm

They aren't free though, on TV they have ads or cable subscription. So no, still wrong and not free.
War Doctor
War Doctor
Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum