The Rhetoric Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there such a thing as a "Worldly Christian"?

5 posters

Go down

difference - Is there such a thing as a "Worldly Christian"? Empty Is there such a thing as a "Worldly Christian"?

Post by Countess Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:21 pm

The World says:
If your enemy comes against you, go to war, and kill him.

Jesus says:
“But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you”

The World says:
Pursue wealth, get riches, always make sure you have plenty.

Jesus says:
“Lay not up for yourselves treasures on earth. If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.”

The World says:
Stand with pride. Don’t let others get the best of you. Refuse to admit defeat.

Jesus says:
Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

The World says:
Fight for your family. Protect them above everything else.

Jesus says:
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

The World says:
Make your life easier. Pleasure. Luxury. Fight for your rights.

Jesus says:

If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

So, seeing the Kingdom of this World and the Kingdom of God are complete opposites... Is there such a thing as a worldly Christian? Can a Christian really do something that is in direct opposition to the Kingdom of God and still be a follower of Christ?
Countess
Countess
Administrator

Female

Back to top Go down

difference - Is there such a thing as a "Worldly Christian"? Empty Re: Is there such a thing as a "Worldly Christian"?

Post by War Doctor Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:31 pm

Can a Christian really do something that is in direct opposition to the Kingdom of God and still be a follower of Christ?
Obviously not but the question is, what is direct opposition? You're quoting a lot of out of context things without citing where they're coming from, for example do you hate your parents?
War Doctor
War Doctor
Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

difference - Is there such a thing as a "Worldly Christian"? Empty Re: Is there such a thing as a "Worldly Christian"?

Post by Countess Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:59 pm

Direct opposition against Christ and His Kingdom. And since there is no other camp to place that in, it belongs to the Worlds Kingdom. Why is that so hard to understand? Only two Kingdoms. It's one or the other. 

In comparison to how much I love Christ, I should hate my parents, yes. That's how I interpret that.
Countess
Countess
Administrator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Striped Leopard Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:32 pm

I feel like 1 John 2:15 is pretty clear:

"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him."
Striped Leopard
Striped Leopard
Apprentice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blitz Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:28 am

For the love finish the verse please. "Lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, and pride of life." This is referring to the non-physical creation. Do you like dogs? Do you love people? Love your neighbor as yourself ring a bell? 

Note, people who fight for freedom don't fight for themselves, but their children and their wives and others. 

Oh and by the way the Bible also says that he that doesn't care for his family is worse than an infidel.
Blitz
Blitz
Apprentice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Isaiah the Ox Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:42 am

So, you choose some bad things, and apply them to "the world." What if the World suddenly decides that Pacifism is the best thing ever, and everyone decides on this? I'm guessing you better go start killing people. I mean, you do know non-Christians can do good, right (take Kait for an example)? Or are you too much of a Calvanist to admit that? 

Maybe the "ways of the flesh" would be a better example or definition. Using "worldy" not only is confusing, since there are multiple definitions of "world" in the Bible (ever heard of "For God so loved the World"?), but it makes people apply it to incorrect things.
Isaiah the Ox
Isaiah the Ox
Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Countess Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:48 am

@Blitz Umm, you were very confusing. What verse should I finish? References?

Note, people who fight for freedom don't fight for themselves, but their children and their wives and others. 
Of course. No one ever fights for themselves. Anyone can do anything so long as its under the banner of protecting their wife and children. Ever heard of someone loving Jesus more than his family? #shock. No one DARES to something like that. How utterly ridiculous. Oh no. If I am dragged into the Roman Colosseum and my family is threatened to be torn to pieces by animals unless I deny Christ, I must certainly deny Him, because I HAVE to protect my family. 

Protect your family from what Blitz? Evil? Pain? It's going to come to them either way. It's all part of this world. 

Oh and by the way the Bible also says that he that doesn't care for his family is worse than an infidel.
My Bible tells me that anyone who does not provide for his family's needs is worse than an infidel. I don't see anything about killing others to protect them. Also Jesus says that if you don't obey His commands, you don't love Him. 

So, you choose some bad things, and apply them to "the world."
So if bad things aren't apart of the World, are they apart of God's Kingdom? It's one or the other. 

What if the World suddenly decides that Pacifism is the best thing ever, and everyone decides on this? 
Would they be doing it because they want to, or because Jesus commanded it? #difference

I mean, you do know non-Christians can do good, right (take Kait for an example)?
Umm, this seems like a trick question. I do believe truly good, holy, and righteous things are only done through Christ and His will. Anything outside of that you have someone trying to do good in their own flesh, and it defeats the purpose. Of course anyone can be merciful and compassionate and show kindness to others and those are things that come from God. So it's good. Two ways to look at this, I suppose. 

Or are you too much of a Calvanist to admit that? 
In what ways am I Calvinist?  Shocked 

Maybe the "ways of the flesh" would be a better example or definition.
Maybe so.
Countess
Countess
Administrator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum